Hungarian Egg Salad Sandwiches – Tojáskrém
Egg salad sandwiches are one of the easiest and fastest comfort foods, every houshold has its own recipe and secret ingredient that makes the salad unique and super delicious.
These simple, classic egg salad sandwiches are an easy and elegant addition to any brunch or party spread.
They are quick and simple to make, also very delicious. Little sour cream for moisture, onions for crunch. If you are a big egg salad fan, you will love this recipe, creamy egg salad, perfect for quick lunches throughout the week.
You just need hard boiled eggs and simple ingredient, such as butter, sour cream, onions and seasonings. I love to sprinkle the egg salad with some Hungarian sweet paprika powder. I do not add mayonnaise to this recipe, but I like to add room temperature butter because it makes the egg salad easy to mix and spread without falling apart.
How to make hard boiled eggs?
For the perfect hard boiled eggs place the eggs in a saucepan, cover them with cold water by 1 inch. Bring water to a boil over high heat, then lower the heat and boil for 9-10 minutes over medium heat. After that place the cooked eggs into ice-water bath and let them sit for a cuple minutes, then peel them.
Egg salad is best eaten within 2 days of making it, keep it covered and refrigerated.
This post may contain affiliate links.
Hungarian Egg Salad Sandwich (Tojáskrém)
- Measuring spoon
- 6 eggs hard boiled
- 2-3 green onions sliced
- 1/4 stick butter 2 tbsp, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- red paprika powder to sprinkle optional
- Place eggs in a saucepan, cover them with cold water by 1 inch. Bring water to a boil over high heat; , then lower the heat and boil for 9-10 minutes over medium heat for perfect hard boiled eggs.
- Place the cooked eggs into ice-water bath and let them sit for a cuple minutes, then peel them.
- Chop the eggs finely, and place them in a medium bowl. Mash up the chopped egg with a fork,
- Mash up the chopped egg a bit with a fork. Mix together with the room temperature butter, sour cream, little ground black peper and scliced green onions. Salt to taste.
- Let it chill for 1-2 hours until flavours come together.
- Spread it on bread or a crusty bun, serve with spring onions or tomatoes.