Cook Hungarian green pea soup (Zöldborsó leaves)
and welcome a little summer into your kitchen with fresh vegetables. The green peas are in season from June to end of July. This soup is most delicious with the freshest peas you can find, but of course sometimes those will be ones from the freezer. It is cooked with homemade pinched noodles, in Hungarian we call it ‘Csipetke’, one of the fastest homemade noodles to prepare. Their name comes from the way they are formed.
Ingredients for 4 people:
- 500 grams (17.6 ounces) of fresh cleaned green peas
- 1 medium onion – peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots – peeled and cut into 1⁄4 inch slices
- 1 medium parsley root or parsnip – peeled and cut into 1⁄4 inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes – peeled and cut into smaller size cubes
- 1 medium Kohlrabi, peeld cut into smaller cubes
- 1 tablespoons of plain flour
- Half a teaspoon spoon of sweet paprika powder
- Half a coffee spoon of baking soda (for the green peas to keep the bright green color)
- Bunch of parsley
- vegetable oil (sunflower)
For the Csipetke (pinched) noodles:
- 1 egg – beaten *(the amount of dough you can make with one egg is enough for a recipe for 12 people. I always use only about 1/3rd of one beaten egg.)
- Pinch of salt
- White flour – as much as necessary to create a firm, smooth dough
In a soup pot, sauté the onions in a tablespoons of vegetable oil over low heat, stirring frequently, until translucent. Do not let them burn. Salt lightly to help tenderize them.
Add the green peas, the carrot and parsley root slices, a good bunch of parsley, the cubed kohlrabi, sprinkle with salt and baking soda, add a little water and steam until vegetables are half tender. Meanwhile you can make the pinched noodles.
In a medium bowl mix together the egg, the salt and the flour and knead with your fingertips until a firm, smooth dough forms. Pinch off small pieces of dough about the size of a lemon seed and roll them.
Once the vegetables are half tender, add the paprika powder, 1 good tablespoon of plain flour, the potato cubes and pour in about 4-5 cups of water, salt to taste. Bring it to a boil.
When boiling, add the pinched noodles, stir and cook until vegetables are tender.