Hungarian layered potatoes
is one of the country’s most favorite comfort foods. It is quick and tasty and not difficult to make, even your kids can help you. Smoked Hungarian sausage is the star in this one-pot dish of layered potatoes and hard-cooked eggs smothered in sour cream. It makes a good dinner alone or stands as a second course for lunch.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 30-40 minutes
Ingredients for 4 people:
9 medium sized potatoes
300g (10.5 ounces) smoked paprika sausage, or chorizo style sausage as substitute
550 grams (2 cups) of sour cream
Sweet paprika powder
Ground black pepper
- Cook the potatoes in their skins in salted water until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch rounds. Set aside.
- Hard-boil 6 eggs, drain and rinse them under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel and slice the eggs.
- Peel and slice the sausage.
- Grease your baking dish. Start with a layer of potatoes, salt it. Now place the egg slices on them. Salt it, sprinkle with ground black pepper and paprika powder and a little oil. Add the sausage slices.
- Add a new layer of potatoes, eggs and sausage and cover with a layer of potatoes. Salt it.
- Spread 2 cups of sour cream on top and bake it in preheated oven, 180 °C, for about 30-35 minutes, until the sour cream browns a little bit.
- Serve with sour cream.