This post contains affiliate links.
Hungarian Cottage Cheese Donuts – Túrófánk
Hungarian cottage cheese donuts are very easy to make, ideal for beginners. A quick dessert recipe, it takes only 15 minutes to prepare. Hungarian cottage cheese is a fresh, soft curd cheese, similar to farmer’s cheese or quark, dry and not liquidy at all. It is most often made with cow’s milk. If you use ricotta cheese, then add only 1 egg.
Sweet tooth’s favorite delicacy is donuts! These delicious cottage cheese donuts are made without yeast, so there is no need for leavening – you can taste them in minutes! They are lightly sweet, bite-sized donuts, finished with a dusting of powdered sugar.
The lemon zest is a very important ingredient, it adds even more flavor and makes your donuts so delightful!! I read so many cottage cheese donut recipes and only a few recommended the lemon zest.
The donuts are crunchy outside, soft inside and very very tasty. They’re also surprisingly easy to make.
Make sure that the oil is not too hot when you put the donuts in. If it is too hot, then the outside of the donut cooks too fast and it is not fully cooked inside.
It is not good either if the oil is not hot enough, adjust the heat if the doughnuts are cooking too quickly or too slowly. You should monitor your oil carefully throughout the frying process, which is about 4-5 minutes
Hungarian cottage cheese donuts - Túrófánk
- Medium bowl
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Frying pan
- 1 cup of dry cottage cheese or farmer's cheese or ricotta
- 2 eggs If you use reciotta, then 1 egg
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- Few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspon of grated lemon zest
- 1.5-2 cups of vegetable oil
- Powdered sugar
- Place the cottage cheese in a bowl and crumble. Add 2 eggs (Only 1 if you use ricotta), the flour, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract and the lemon zest and stir to combine.
- Heat the oil to medium temperature, I used a smaller pan with about 2 inches of oil, it was enough to give a good depth for the doughnuts.
- With the help of 2 teaspoons scoop and drop little balls into the hot oil and fry each side until golden brown, it takes about 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer the donuts to the paper towel and and continue to fry the rest of the dough until finished.