This post may contain affiliate links.
Hungarian Semolina Dumpling Soup – Grízgaluska Leves
Hungarian semolina dumpling soup is one of the our favorite Sunday soups. The semolina dumplings are floating in a bowl of homemade chicken, beef or vegetable soup. Making those fluffy dumplings is always a challenge, you have to figure out the right egg-semolina ratio, find the fine balance in order to make soft, but yet stable dumplings. If the mixture is too wet, the dumplings will fall apart while simmering. If you add too much semolina, your dumplings will be stony.
How to make super tender semolina dumplings?
Tip 1. Do not whisk the egg and make it foamy. Just gently stir.
Tip 2. Do not add salt to the mixture, it will make your dumplings firm. Add salt to the water that you boil the dumplings in.
Tip 3. For a medium egg (around 50 grams) you add 50 grams (1/4 cup)of semolina.
I cooked this soup with chicken breast fillet, you can also use other chicken parts with bones, the cooking time will be longer then. Or you can make it without meat and create a delicious vegetable soup.
What type of semolina to use?
In Hungary we use coarse ground wheat farina (coarse semolina) , white-beige in color, we also call it Gríz. That is why it is called ‘grízgaluska’ soup. Galuska means dumpling.
How to shape the semolina dumplings?
Form small, ellipse-shaped dumplings using two tablespoons. Here is a short video, it helps you to make them.
Hungarian Semolina Dumpling Soup - Grízgaluska leves
- 2 pots
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Chef's knife
- 1 mixing bowl
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- 2 Tablespoons
For the soup
- 1 cup cubed chicken breast fillet
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 2 carrots peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 1 parsley root peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 bunch of parsley
- 1/2 of a medium kohlrabi
- 10 Brussels sprouts,cut in half
- ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil)
For the semolina dumplings
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coarse semolina
- 1 tbsp salt
- Heat a little oil in a soup pot.
- If you make it with meat, add it now, season with salt and ground black pepper. Stir constantly for about 3 minutes or until the meat has been seared on all sides.
- Add the whole peeled onion, the carrots, the parsley roots (or parsnips), the cubed kohlrabies, the green peas and the Brussel sprouts. Add 1,5 liters of water, salt to taste and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- In the meantime, you have to prepare the semolina dumplings.
- In a bowl mix 2 whole eggs with 1/2 cup of semolina. Do not whisk the eggs, just stir gently. Do not add any salt to the mixture. Put it in the refrigerator for about 5 minutes, the semolina will absorb some moisture, the batter will get thicker.
- In a larger pot heat 1 liter of water, add 1 level tablespoon of salt, bring it to a boil.
- Form the dumplings and gently drop them in the water.
- How to shape the dumplings: form small, ellipse-shaped dumplings using two tablespoons. Here is a short video, it helps you to make them. Drop the dumplings in the boiling water, cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes. They will double in size. Remove, place them onto a plate, and serve in the hot soup.